2.18.2011

The Urban Ecology Center

It was a beautiful day here in Milwaukee! = 43 degrees, BRIGHT sunshine, nothing but blue skies, and windy...No doubt, I picked a great day to walk 3.5 miles to the Urban Ecology Center (UEC).

The UEC is one of the places I am considering for the exhibition of my endangered species show. Although winter is coming to an end - everything is brown and asleep/hibernating - I can see how green, lush, and wonderful the area is in spring, summer, and fall. When I walked into the building, I immediately attached myself...There is a strong smell of wood, probably as a result of the cabin/lodge scene. There is even a fireplace with an open balcony overlooking it all the way around! I started out taking a look at all the animals "around" Wisconsin. There were a couple of turtles, some fish, salamander, and some snakes. The room had TINY chairs, and looked as though a group of elementary school students had just come to visit. Overall, I had an exciting sense of education and inspiration in this smaller than expected building.

This is the view of the second floor, from the stairwell door. I can't wait until the weather is nice, and the green roof is thriving!

I am happy with how the visit to my first potential exhibition space went. However, should I choose the UEC, I am not so sure that an installation would be the way to go; that is not necessarily a bad thing. In addition, I spoke to the receptionist. She informed me that in order for artists to use the space as a gallery, we must first submit our portfolio to the portfolio committee. There will not be another portfolio review until summer = Perhaps my show will take place late summer/fall? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment