2.27.2011

The Audubon Center

My mom and little sister (Katelyn) came to visit me today!!! It was a lot of fun to have family time (even though we were missing my dad and other two sisters). We had a fabulous lunch at Beans and Barely (highly recommended), and came back to my apartment afterward. The entire day was filled with great discussions and lots of laughter! We also talked a bit about this project. Apparently, my Grandma Arlene (mom's mom) loves owls! Not sure how I didn't know/remember that, but definitely boosted my energy and interest even more. Before heading back to Madison, my mom and Katelyn decided to journey with me to the Audubon Center!

Not surprisingly, there were many similarities in the Audubon Center's structure to that of the Urban Ecology Center. The biggest difference was the size = Audubon Center was very large, relatively speaking. I also enjoyed the space and location; the Center is located in north Milwaukee. Though I enjoyed the 20 minute trip, I began questioning how others would respond to my exhibition being so "far away." I feel that proximity is something to take into consideration when deciding where to display my work; the ultimate goal is to reach lots of different people.

The only down-side to my visit was arriving at 5pm, which is when the Center closes. As a result, I was unable to get a good feel/look at the inside. My mom and I decided to be "creepers" and peek in the windows anyway. Again, very similar to the Urban Ecology Center, with open beams and wooden lodge feel; I imagine the smell to be that of fresh timber, too.  That reminds me, I received two books from Brian in Friday's mail: Cradle to Cradle (book on CD), and A Splintered History of Wood. Both seem very interesting, and very much inspirational for my project. I have almost finished listening to Cradle to Cradle: a book about living in an ever-changing world, topics of environment, production and consuming goods, also focuses on how to reuse and recycle materials, written by an architect. Wonderful book! Already supporting my idea of using all recycled materials, as well as producing my own hand-made papers.

This week I will be creating concrete mock-ups of the space I am hoping to create. Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment