3.10.2011

A Week Later...

WOW, has a WHOLE week gone by already? Time sure is flying by.

OK, here's the latest scoop...

Last week, I traveled to a paper-making studio located here in Milwaukee, called RedLine Studio: http://www.redlineartmke.org/. My reasoning? Leslie had informed me of the studio's newest exhibition opening (March 4th) called "Pulp Possibilities." Needless to say, my expectations were surpassed. The space was beautiful, the work was stellar, and, as always, the hors d'oeuvres were scrumptious! After observing myriad types of paper, specifically the materials that made up the papers, I am now 127% positive that creating my own handmade papers as broadsides would be the most dynamic decision of my entire show.

While exploring the "Pulp Possibilities" display, I happened to run into Dara Larson (a bookartist, teaching at Alverno, and spends much of her time mentoring and creating paper at RedLine). We talked for a few minutes, and I inquired about renting space in the studio. I am currently in the process of setting up an orientation time with Dara. She asked if I could e-mail a few of my concepts to her. This is what I wrote:

- People make decisions every day. However, they do not always consider how those decisions impact other people, places, or things around the world. For instance, where do wooden pencils and paper come from? What is used to support the structure of a home? How about the kitchen table in your home? The answer is that all wood comes from tees. How does one acquire said wood? Logging.

       - Logging is the effect of consumer demands. The effect of logging is the destruction of old forest, especially in the Northwestern   
         United States. The effect of old forest growth destruction is the loss of the Northern Spotted Owl's habitat. This means that the
         wooden #2 pencils you have been using since elementary school are one of the leading causes for the endangerment of the
         Northern Spotted Owl.

- I understand this message seems a bit grim. However, my goal is to create awareness among my audience. This show is meant to rejuvenate the observer's desire to make a difference; my audience can be the positive cause for protecting the Norther Spotted Owl. To make a difference, one must first understand the need for change.

        - I am looking to create approximately 8 different sheets of handmade paper, each inspired by the leading causes for the Northern
          Spotted Owl's endangerment. For example, the paper representing logging would be created from a variety of papers, old pencil
          shavings, cereal boxes/cardboard, etc.


This coming week is going to be filled with setting up appointments and studio time, creating mock-ups of barred owls, conceptualizing the types of recyclables I hope to use to create my paper, and hammer out more of the aesthetic and logistical workings of my exhibition as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment