3.21.2011

Let's Catch Up

Again, another week and a half have gone by since my last posting. I can assure you that despite my lack of online attendance, my project and concept have continued to evolve. Would you believe me if I said that my concept has come full circle? Well, it has. After discussing my project with a few fellow artists, it is becoming more clear to me that scaling down would be in my best interest; it would ensure more diverse exhibition space options. Right now I am considering:

- coffee houses
- nature centers
- retail space
- galleries that are sending out "call for artist proposals"

Scaling down means that I will be looking to focus more on the broadsides, less on the installation. There will still be elements of the 3rd, and maybe 4th, dimensions. However, I am beginning to cycle back to my original idea of creating one long broadside. I would then create ways for my sculptures to exist as part of the broadside, and perhaps, the wall itself. Once I begin making my papers, I will have a better idea of how to bring my ideas together.

This coming Saturday I will be meeting with Dara Larson to undergo an orientation of making paper at RedLine Studio. I am VERY eager to begin this next step! Here is a list of some of the materials I will be using to create my papers:

- magazines
- newspapers
- blue jeans
- cardboard
- egg cartons
- plastic bags

In addition to creating paper, I have been sketching and constructing mini-mock-ups of Barred Owls - which are one of the threats to the Northern Spotted Owl. I will be posting three variations in the coming days.

Lastly, I have decided to put all of my focus on creating my art for the remainder of the semester. I will continue to research different venues, call for artists opportunities, and other options for exhibiting my show. Right now, I feel as though my mind has been so geared toward finding a venue that I have been neglecting the most important aspect of my show - the art.


No comments:

Post a Comment