4.22.2011

Consistency Is Key

Fortunately I was able to make it into RedLine twice this week! My choice pulp, yet again, was browns...something about earth tones really excites me with this project. Interestingly though, my challenge was to maintain a certain level of consistency amongst each sheet. In other words, I had to test the pulp for a desirable mixture, as well as ensuring that each sheet created was identical in thickness. All I have to say is that I am getting better with practice.

Since my project has reached the state of construction, I have begun creating the foundation of each broadside...the dimensions will be 5'X11". However, RedLine's papermaking studio is limited when it comes to vats, screens, and presses. That means I have been creating the largest sheets available: 11"X14". Because I will ultimately be connecting these sheets lengthwise to establish the 5', consistency will be very important.

On the illustrative front, I have been collecting reference photos to help develop storyboards. Once my sketches and narrative become finalized, I will be ready to initiate collaging. This is a very exciting time for me, seeing as how I am enamored with process!


1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to see what you come up with! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete